I also like to use my nutrition education and tweak the recipes to suit my needs. I NEVER eat processed sugar. EVER. I WILL have organic pure cane juice in small amounts, just like I would have small amounts of pure maple syrup. All good, all not processed. SO I tweaked this recipe to be sugar free and just as delicious.
Original recipe called for sour cream (not high in nutrition) and powdered sugar (um... no). So easy to fix just 2 small things and make it a protein powerhouse vs. a small sugar spike. No need for any of that in my normal day to day. I save that for special occasions and ALWAYS feel gross after. Im all about feeling good and these muffins fuel me. These taste amazing I like to pop one of these in the middle of the day or after a meal as a dessert. I never feel deprived, always full and completely happy. You should give it a shot. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started, and if you are already on it, comment below how much you like these!
Healthy Carrot Cake Oatmeal Muffins12 servings
2 cups dry old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. Pink Himalayan salt
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup 100% pure organic maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ cup grated carrots (approx. 1¼ medium)
¼ cup crushed pineapple, in 100% pineapple juice, drained
3 Tbsp. lowfat greek yogurt
3 Tbsp. powdered maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers. Set aside
- Combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine coconut milk, eggs, maple syrup, extract, carrots, and pineapple in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Fold coconut milk mixture into oat mixture; mix well.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating pan after 15 minutes.
- While oatmeal cups are baking, make icing. Combine greek yogurt and maple in a small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Let oatmeal cups cool in pan until you can handle them. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Drizzle each oatmeal cup with approximately 1 tsp. icing before serving; serve warm.