Gluten-Free Pita Bread
1 package yeast or quick-rising yeast
½ cup warm water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 cups Better Batter Gluten Free All Purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup lukewarm water
1. Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes until water is frothy.
2. Combine flours and salt in large bowl using a Kitchen Aid or other heavy-duty mixer. Pour in yeast mixture and egg and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment.
3. Slowly add ½ to 1 cup warm water and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add enough water so that dough is soft and tacky, not liquid.
4.Oil your baking sheet or baking stones with a little olive oil.
5. Pinch off 10 to 12 small pieces of dough and place pieces on oiled bake sheet and roll out. I use saran wrap over the top to prevent it from sticking to the rolling pin. Roll as thin as you can and then let rise for 1 hour before baking.
6. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
7. Bake for 6 minutes until bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 5 minutes.
8. Remove each pita from baking sheet with a spatula and gently push down each puff. Bake additional dough until all pitas are made. Serve immediately or place in storage bags.
Just made these! My did not really puff, but they still taste good. I baked them on a wire rack you might use for cooling cookies.ReplyDelete
I think this recipe would be excellent for pizza on the grill!