Gluten-Free Pita Bread
1 package yeast or quick-rising yeast
½ cup warm water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 cups Better Batter Gluten Free All Purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup lukewarm water
1. Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes until water is frothy.
2. Combine flours and salt in large bowl using a Kitchen Aid or other heavy-duty mixer. Pour in yeast mixture and egg and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment.
3. Slowly add ½ to 1 cup warm water and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add enough water so that dough is soft and tacky, not liquid.
4.Oil your baking sheet or baking stones with a little olive oil.
5. Pinch off 10 to 12 small pieces of dough and place pieces on oiled bake sheet and roll out. I use saran wrap over the top to prevent it from sticking to the rolling pin. Roll as thin as you can and then let rise for 1 hour before baking.
6. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
7. Bake for 6 minutes until bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 5 minutes.
8. Remove each pita from baking sheet with a spatula and gently push down each puff. Bake additional dough until all pitas are made. Serve immediately or place in storage bags.