Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Gluten-Free Challah Bread
Challah. I adapted this recipe from another blogger "I am gluten free". I had to change it up for our tastes. But I would highly recommend anyone try this recipe that is gluten intollerant. Yummy bread.
Usually Challah is braided. But seeing how I can't use regular processed flour, That is not going to happen here. Traditional challah recipes use a large number of eggs, fine white flour, water and sugar. As you can see this recipe is prepared differently for the Gluten challenged people out there. But the taste is all there and well worth the prep time.
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
1 ½ cups cornstarch
¾ cup white rice flour
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
3 tablespoons almond meal
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons potato flour
¼ cup butter, melted
¼ cup honey
4 eggs + 1 extra egg yolk (at room temperature)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. Sift together cornstarch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, almond meal, xanthun gum, salt, and potato fllour and poor in a heavy duty mixer (Kitchenaid).
3. With mixer running, add yeast mixture, then add melted butter and honey.
4. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until blended.
5. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes – batter will look like pudding.
6. Spoon batter into greased 9” spring form pan or 9x5 inch loaf pan.
7. Smooth top surface of batter I did this by spraying Pam on my clean hands and spreading it by hand.
8. Cover pan with plastic wrap sprayed underneath with Pam type spray so it won’t stick to batter as it rises.
9. Let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes.
10. Using a fine serrated knife, cut 4 diagonal lines across top of bread about 1/8 inch deep to allow the steam to escape.
12. Transfer to wire cooling rack, rub top with butter while it’s still hot.
I hope everyone had a great weekend. I trust everyone is trying to get back to their healthy diets after splurging over Sup...
Tis' the season to be naughty fa la la la la, la la la la! There are yummy bites everywhere. I do my best to stay away from most of...