If you don't know me, you might not know that I am very very very interested in other cultures food. Usually if there is a holiday, even if it is not a holiday I celebrate, I cook. I like to look up what other Countries and Religions make to celebrate different events. I found this recipe for Lebkuchen. It is a traditional German cookie that is usually baked for Christmas. The recipe intrigued me because it contained all the flavors that I think of, when I think of the holidays. So many Christmas cookie recipes require you to refridgerate for a minimum of 2 hours. This is one of those. So how I do it, is I do these recipes first. Then let them chill while I am cooking/ baking other recipes. You won't be sad you tried these for your holiday cooking. Remember, you don't have to be gluten-free to use my recipes, simply use regular flour instead of the gluten-free flour. Here is what I did.
For the Cookies:
3 cups all-purpose flour, (I use my gluten Free flour recipe)
1 tsp xanthan gum (omit if you are not doing gluten-free)
1¼ teaspoons ground nutmeg
1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¾ cup light brown sugar
½ cup honey
½ cup molasses
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Once you pull them out of refridgeration: Preheat the oven to 350°F. and line two baking sheets parchment paper. I use my baking stone.
2. Sift together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and allspice and set aside.
3. Beat the egg and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, Scrape down the bowl.
4. Beat in the honey and molasses until thoroughly combined.
5. slow down mixer and stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
7. Pour the dough into a parchment lined 9x13 pan and chill until firm, about 2 hours or overnight.
9. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Whisk together the confectioner’s sugar, water and lemon juice and brush or spread on top of the cookies.
10. Allow the glaze to firm, and then store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
3 Time published Author, Cancer Survivor, Elite Coach, Nutrition expert, 200 hour certified Yoga Teacher, Wife, Mother, and friend, I bring my healthy recipes, Tips, and products that help people get and stay, happy, healthy, and cancer FREE!
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Lebkuchen Cookies Gluten-Free or regular
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Tis' the season to be naughty fa la la la la, la la la la! There are yummy bites everywhere. I do my best to stay away from most of...
UPDATE: with the help of Random.org the winner has been picked. Result: 14 Powered by RANDOM.ORG Congrats Melissa! OXO...
Post a Comment
Thank you! I love comments!