I love a good veggie wrap, or a great Bean and rice burrito. I also love Flautas! So I need a good flour tortilla that is gluten free. Ok, I know they have them. I see them at Sprouts and Whole foods. $5 for 4 tortillas is not my idea of fun at all. I am going to make my own.
I am not going to lie, it is a long process. It tooke me about 1.5 hours from start to finish. Next time it will probably only take an hour, it was jut a learning curve. However, the tortillas taste exactly the same as regular flour tortillas. I made a double batch and kept the extras in the fridge for easy use next time.
Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas
2 cups better batter gluten free flour
]]1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
1¼ tsp salt
2 TBs vegetable or other shortening
¾ to 1 cup warm water
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender, the blade attachment on a kitchenaid or even just with two forks. I use the kitchenaid paddle attachment and it works just fine. Once the dough is sand consistency...
2. Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well.
3. Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
4. Heat a griddle to medium heat. Then, form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll into a round disk about ⅛ inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference.
6. Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks.
7. Bake until the second side has slightly browned - should brown in a very short time.
8. Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served.
You can also store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Hmmmm... I think I will make a burrito tomorrow =)