So… turns out once again I was poisoning my daughter without knowing. Soap, Lotion, even MAKEUP has gluten. I have to go through all of her items now and figure out what has gluten and what doesn’t. She has been so itchy lately and she would break out by her scalp and her back where her hair would touch. I cannot believe there is gluten in so many products, not only that, but they hide it with fancy words! I am so angry. Generally, you can look at a list of ingredients on shampoo products and find wheat, barley, rye, or oats clearly listed as part of an ingredient, such as hydrolyzed wheat protein. These obvious ingredient names are easy to spot. Other times, manufacturers do not list common names. They use scientific names like triticum vulgare (wheat), hordeum vulgare (barley), secale cereale (rye), or avena sativa (oats).
There are also other forms of gluten listed on the label that are not easily discernible. These include:
• stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein)
• hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein)
• amino peptide complex
• hydrolyzed malt extract
• phytosphingosine extract
• samino peptide complex
• beta glucan
• dextrin palmitate
• hydrolyzed vegetable protein
• maltodextrin (can be from barley)
The following is a list of fragrance-free, gluten-free shampoo products:
• DHS Clear Shampoo Fragrance Free
• Desert Essence Organics Fragrance Free Shampoo
• Free & Clear Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
• Gluten-Free Savonnerie Shampoo, Fragrance Free
• Lavera Baby Neutral Hair & Body Shampoo
• Lavera Neutral Hair & Body Shampoo
• Logona Free Shampoo & Shower Gel
• Magick Botannicals Baby Bubble Bath Soap and Shampoo
• Magick Botannicals Fragrance Free Shampoo
• Miessence Organics Desert Flower Shampoo (normal to dry hair)
• Miessence Organics Lemon Myrtle Shampoo (normal to oily hair)
• Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo
• Synergy Light Moisture Shampoo
• Synergy Silk Shampoo
• Tate's Miracle Odorless Shampoo
3 Time published Author, Cancer Survivor, Elite Coach, Nutrition expert, 200 hour certified Yoga Teacher, Wife, Mother, and friend, I bring my healthy recipes, Tips, and products that help people get and stay, happy, healthy, and cancer FREE!
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Beware! Gluten in your soap, lotion, shampoo and makeup!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Tis' the season to be naughty fa la la la la, la la la la! There are yummy bites everywhere. I do my best to stay away from most of...
UPDATE: with the help of Random.org the winner has been picked. Result: 14 Powered by RANDOM.ORG Congrats Melissa! OXO...
Great info! We avoid gluten, so this is very helpful. It's shocking how so many food allergies can be disguised with other names. Makes it really challenging to read food labels these days.ReplyDelete
I wish I could walk around with this list! I'm gluten free through my diet and have been recently wanting to change all my makeup, lotions and other cosmetics to gluten free - but can never remember what I'm looking for!!!!!ReplyDelete
Thank you for this - I think I'm gonna copy this list to my Notes on my phone and walk with it!
Thank you! This is so helpful - I've copied it onto my phone and will walk with it. Do you know if all Neutrogena products are gf? I'd love if you have any other suggestions for cosmetics, deodorants, makeup etc...I have a few lotion alternatives(from others)ReplyDelete
- St Ives lotions - I use this and have had no problems but they have fragrance
- Watkins lotions
- Baby Oils
- Green Beaver Lotions
- Live Clean Lotions
- Coconut Oil